“Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.” --Martin Luther King Jr.
Savor for a moment the feeling you get when you do something good for someone or for the earth. There is simply nothing like it. Why is this? It’s because helping one another (serving) is exactly what we are here to do….it is the common purpose for all of mankind. Yes, we all have our individual purpose in life – but we are all bound together with the common purpose of service to one another.
“Being of service” might sound like it’s too much work….but with all things it’s not how big or how much….but more that the “service” is put into action – if even on the tiniest scale. Another benefit to doing even the tiniest thing -- it’s been scientifically proven that if someone sees you doing something good – it gives them the same great feeling that you get – and they in turn want to do something good (also known as the ripple effect).
Sometimes we become so self absorbed in our own day to day problems, issues and troubles that we lose touch with being mindful about service to others. There are literally hundreds of opportunities to do good things for people and our earth every single day – you just have to turn your mind ON to being more aware of those opportunities so that you can do them. Once you become more aware and you put yourself into motion – you can become addicted to doing good things for people – which translates to the bigger picture of contributing to the world! Here are some small examples to help you get started – go do it – put some GOOD into the world TODAY!
· If you see a piece of trash on the ground, pick it up and throw it away
· Give someone a big huge smile – BEAM happiness to others
· Say hello to a stranger – even if it seems awkward – be a “high on life” ambassador
· Send an uplifting text or e-mail to someone – letting them know you are thinking of them
· Let someone go ahead of you in the check-out line
· Give a homeless person a dollar – don’t be concerned what they will do with it – just put the kindness out there
· Tell a child how important they are, how special they are and how much they mean to this world
· Give someone your awesome parking spot that you’ve been circling around for 15 minutes looking for
· Pay for the person behind you in the bridge toll
· Instead of leaving a standard tip – leave a little more and TELL the server how wonderful they made your eating experience
It’s hard to imagine, but if every single one of us were to embrace the daily intention of “service to others” we would all be living in a perfect utopia! Since that is probably not possible, why not be the person that makes the positive choice to do good every day – and all day. To put this into action, it all begins with a daily intention. When you begin your day with the intention to do all the good that you can – you’ve set up your day to actually do it. You see, setting that intention is a personal commitment….and when you are tied to making that commitment you are more apt to get it done.
Most people need something to keep them mindful of their daily intention – so that they are aware all day of their commitment to serve others and put “some good” out in the world. They need something to help them remember; something that provides reminders to stay focused on what you’ve set out to do. Solution: the meaning to pause® bracelet. This bracelet gently and privately vibrates every 90 minutes with a friendly nudge to keep you on track and mindful of your daily intention. This simple and inexpensive bracelet holds the key to keeping you focused on your daily intention and commitment to serve!
For more information go to: www.meaningtopause.com
“The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”
- Mitch Albom
- Mitch Albom