Monday, November 10, 2014

A PAUSE A DAY HELPS KEEPS THE STRESS AT BAY

Numerous studies suggest that there is a direct link between reducing stress and increasing physical and emotional wellbeing as a result of the practice of prayer and/or meditation, either of which, promotes relaxation. 

The benefits of reducing stress are many.  Johns Hopkins School of Education (JHSE) studies show relaxation helps with stress related behavior issues that affect the brain such as impulsiveness, difficulty in concentration, irritating behaviors, aggression, withdrawal, depression, learning, memory and performance. 

Besides helping the brain improve, JHSE also notes that relaxation helps our body’s nervous system by relaxing muscles, lowering blood pressure, decreasing heart and breathing rates, stabilizing blood flow to muscles, slowing metabolism, calming hormones, strengthening immunity, and, releasing dopamine and serotonin that enhance feelings of well being and pleasure.

Johns Hopkins School of Education encourages a self-calming process that helps a person move toward relaxation.  The process is called: "Take 5" and was created by Victoria Tennant Consulting.  The 5 steps in the “Take 5” process are outlined below:

"Take 5" Calming Steps ©Victoria Tennant Consulting http://www.victoriatennantconsulting.com/

Step 1: I notice how I feel.
Step 2: I accept myself.
Step 3: I calm myself.
Step 4: I notice how I feel now.
Step 5: I tell myself something positive.


Prayer and meditation reduces stress – so why wait to practice them?  You’re worth taking the time to Pause for improved brain, physical, emotional and spiritual health. 

How will you Pause for your personal well-being?


Make each moment count toward your health and wellness.  We invite you to Pause today.